Friday, August 16, 2024

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! IF THAT IS SO, WHAT ARE YOU EATING WHEN IT COMES TO A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD FOR ETERNAL LIFE?

Blog Hiatus 2024

Dear Subscribers –

Due to some medical conditions, including a surgery, stay in the hospital and sustained recovery, I am not able to offer a new weekly blog at this time.  Since I have completed all three-year cycles of blogs for Sunday’s Gospels and readings, I will have them repeated for the time I am away recuperating.  Please forgive this repetition, but hopefully it will be a good reminder to what you are currently doing in your relationship with the Lord.

God Bless,

Deacon Jim Merle


Envy is not a word I often use for myself because it brings up areas that remind me of how sinful I can be if I begin to desire certain things which are not good for me anyway. However, when it comes to those who can eat everything that I cannot, I am envious. I have so many food allergies that it is a wonder I have enough body muscle to do physical work.

Based on my height and weight, I am average; in fact, some believe I do not weigh enough. It is not that I do not eat well, I do. It is that I cannot enjoy a bevy of foods that make me smile as the texture overwhelms one’s taste buds. It is what happens later that causes me to suffer in so many ways.

Our readings and Gospel today are offering us multiple images of food which nourish our body. If we focus on these foods, we will be able to accomplish anything we want and remain healthy. The caveat, however, is to be careful because you can become what you eat, and it could cause you to lose the true meaning of the food that is offered if you do not eat the correct foods.

Proverbs’ first nine chapters explore the difficulties of being in public service as it relates to serving others. If one does not follow the correct protocol, what they offer is foolishness instead of wisdom’s knowledge and understanding to best serve others.

Ephesians 5:15 – 20 also addresses avoidance of foolishness by living wisely when it comes to understanding the Lord’s will. Living in Christian love entails discerning God’s actions in our lives and His desires for our lives. To do so, we must practice virtues by acting with prudence and applying caution to align with and direct us toward our pursuit of the Lord. We are called to be filled with the Holy Spirit.

It is, of course in St. John’s Gospel, that what we eat is a metaphor for Jesus calling us to consume God in ultimate things. The banquet of Jesus’ body and blood (the true food and true drink of God) draws us through death into resurrection and the fullness of eternal life.

As he says: “The person who feeds on My flesh and drinks My blood remains in Me, and I in him.”  (John 6:56) 

So how do we do that? We focus on how to best serve the Lord with the talents He has given us.

For example, if you have the gift of patience, be present to those you know who may be upset with the Lord about how their life is going. Help them understand that no matter how difficult life may be, God does not abandon those He created out of love. Over time with your assistance and prayers, they may find some common ground to reconnect with God in their lives.

The main thing to remember for oneself and others is that Jesus died on the Cross for our sins, was raised from the dead to reopen heaven and ascended to not only greet us when we pass, but to be an intercessor for us with God the Father. Our way to thank Him is to follow His ways by partaking of all that He left us to use for the betterment of all and to focus on the true bread of life He is for us to succeed.

 

Proverbs 9:1 – 6
Ephesians 5:15 – 20
John 6:51 - 58

No comments:

Post a Comment