Friday, October 21, 2022

O God, Have Mercy On Me! O Lord, Open My Lips And My Mouth Shall Declare Your Praise! My Sacrifice…A Humbled, Contrite Heart You Will Not Spurn!


(From Psalm 51 – The Miserere: Prayer of Repentance – of King David)

Each day I start my morning prayer of the Liturgy of the Hours with an examination of conscience in the following way:

“Lord, forgive my inequities, cleanse me from my sin, help me to be one with You in all that I am and in all that I do in thought, word and deed as well as Faith, Hope and Love.  Give me courage, strength, wisdom, understanding, peace, joy and grace to be obedient to your will.  For all those for whom I pray, may they receive your care, comfort and healing.”

It is my way of admitting my sinfulness, acknowledging God is in control and that in my Sacrament of Baptism and call to serve I promise to love God with all my soul, heart, mind and body and all God has created as Jesus loves us.  Based upon this statement I believe I am like the tax collector in St. Luke’s Gospel today who comes to God seeking His love, mercy and forgiveness.  It is my hope that God will love me like the humble tax collector.

One of the best definitions of sin I have heard and read about is that sin is a failure in relationships; with God, others and oneself.  It’s not only about sins we commit, but just as important are sins of omissions.  It is just because I forgot to do something or deliberately decided not to act?  It also is a sin.

Of course, one of the best ways to recognize our sinfulness is an examination of conscience.  Usually offered at a Lenten Prayer Service with the Sacrament of Reconciliation, the questions asked are to remind us of our failings so we may seek out forgiveness that is more directed to our particular failings.  Following are five specific questions that may help us identify a quicker path to mercy:

  Am I attentive to God’s presence in prayer and worship?

·       In my daily living, do I act as a child of God?

·       Do I reflect the mercy of God in my relationship with others?

·       Do I bring the love of God to the world?

·       Will I accept the forgiveness of God and change my way of life?

Let us take this week to seek the humility practiced by the tax collector who put his trust in God to be merciful to his sinfulness.  By doing so, we should hope to be touched by the first reading from Sirach which says: “The prayer of the lowly pierces the clouds…the Lord will not be slow in coming.”


Reading 1:  Sirach 35: 12-14, 16-18
Reading 2: Second Timothy 4: 6-8, 16-18
Gospel: Luke 18: 9-14

No comments:

Post a Comment