Friday, October 7, 2022

God, Who Created Us Out Of Love, Is Always Here For Us, No Matter Who We Are As Long As We Are Grateful For All That He Does



It is interesting to note how people react to illnesses and accidents, especially when they are either a part of it or have avoided it. 
In the latter instance, most people express how lucky they were.  It was a close call, but they beat the odds.  Those who experienced a setback due to being affected either are upset because they have a problem which may be life-changing or are grateful because it was something minor.

My two surgical encounters with cancer in 2008, concerned me, but I never felt I was being punished or that I was fortunate because I had no further episodes.  I took it as a sign of my faith being challenged in which I could honor my belief in God and accept His love of healing.  It was an opportunity for me to view what was happening as a sign of strength, not weakness.  I found that putting my trust in God was more rewarding towards a good relationship with Him rather than second guessing my plight in life.

I had learned this lesson when I was in my twenties.  As a writer/reporter for a large Midwest newspaper, I was invited at Christmas time to visit veterans’ hospitals with my colleagues.  We would bring financial gifts from subscriber donations to remind those who were injured that they were not forgotten and how much they were appreciated for their service during a time of need.

The first ward we visited had soldiers who had been there since the Spanish-American War of 1898 and World I from 1917 through 1918.  Many were missing limbs, were blind or were too old to communicate as it was in the mid-1960s and they had no relatives alive or things in common with current care givers.  Some said thank you, others smiled and some had tears that they were still remembered.  Other wards had soldiers from World War II and the Korean Conflict, but they never expected to leave the hospital due to their injuries.  Most seemed to have accepted their condition.

What I noticed in many of the wards were items indicating a connection with religion; whether it is a picture of Jesus, a crucifix or non-Christian remembrances such as a Star of David.  Some mentioned they prayed to God and would have visits from clergymen of different faiths.

Many were grateful that they were still alive, but mentioned they lost comrades in battle for which they were sad.  Even though their lives would be spent in a hospital the rest of their time, most seemed to have reconciled that aspect of it and were grateful they were still alive.  I didn’t second guess what was said, accepting they were honest in their assessment of what life brought them.

At the end of these visits, it gave me a sense of how difficult life can be for some people, especially those who fought for our freedom and suffered physical, mental and emotional wounds for their sacrifice.  I made a promise to myself that I would never take for granted what people in all sorts of dilemmas suffer.  God created us for a purpose.  We need to recognize what it is and to cement our relationship with God so we can better understand our purpose on earth which is to serve all those in need just like Jesus and Elisha did in healing lepers in St. Luke’s Gospel and Book of Kings, respectively.  May we all be like Naaman or the Samaritan leper who appreciates God’s part in our life and thanks God with all our heart for His love and healing ways? 


Reading 1:  Second Kings 5: 14-17
Reading 2: Second Timothy 2: 8-13
Gospel: Luke 17: 11-19

No comments:

Post a Comment