Friday, February 25, 2022

We Need To Know Ourself Before We Criticize Another. Use Our Heart To Speak God’s Love.

An adage I often use when people ask about me is: “What you see, is what you get.”  I say this not to be glib, cocky or without thought.  I want to honestly reflect the true me as much as possible with whatever positive and negative aspects I portray.  I know I am not perfect and have many faults.  With this attitude, I hope that people will see I mean well in all my relationships and I can continue to learn how I need to honor the other person’s self-worth. 

In my earlier years I always felt I had to prove myself to others, especially older persons, that I could handle whatever task I was given or expected to accomplish.  In doing so, I often annoyed others who judged me as arrogant, as opposed to being helpful.  It caused me to be more aloof and not enter into deeper relationships.

As time went on, I began to listen more (I still am working at that when it comes to my wife and trying not to interrupt her because I believe I know what she will say).  Nine times out of ten, I do not know her storyline.  As for listening, I am doing better, but still think I can provide an answer to what I hear.

In our first reading from the Book of Sirach, we learn that as soon as a person speaks, he or she reveals who they are for better or worse.  In essence, our speech betrays what is in our hearts.  We can tell by what is said if there is a divine presence.

Jesus in St. Luke’s Gospel characterizes discipleship in a multitude of ways and provides us with aids to better conduct our life by being critical of ourselves.  It offers several areas in which we should consider changes to our lives.

Before we list the shortcomings of others, we need to accept our own.

Don’t gossip.  It is a coward’s way of avoiding direct contact with the person we believe might be out of touch when it might be the opposite.

Be honest.  It will clarify both strengths and weaknesses and help all of us to be real.

Don’t expect others to change if you are not willing to do the same.

What Jesus wants from our Christian discipleship is to accept people where they are at.  As Jesus said: “A good person produces goodness from the good in his or her heart.”  Truth becomes the standard and brings affirmation, encouragement and compassion to relationships.  That’s the kind criticism we need to give: Constructive and helpful.


Reading 1: Sirach 27: 4-7
Reading 2: First Corinthians 15: 54-58
Gospel: Luke 6: 39-45

No comments:

Post a Comment