Friday, April 7, 2023

Jesus’ Death and Resurrection has Given Us A Second Chance. Don’t Miss the Opportunity!

 


There is no greater celebration for a Christian than Easter Sunday.  It is the culmination and the purpose of God’s redemptive plan for man’s salvation.  Jesus has died for our sins and is risen from the dead so that, if we have followed Him as we ought, we will have an everlasting life after we pass from our earthly existence.

So, how do we celebrate Easter Sunday?  Hint: It is not with Easter Egg Hunts. 

According to St. Peter in today’s reading from the Acts of the Apostles, we are “to preach to the people and testify that Jesus is the one appointed by God as judge of the living and the dead.  To Jesus all the prophets bear witness, that everyone who believes in Him will receive forgiveness of sins through His name.”  In addition, we also must believe that Jesus was raised on the third day. 

St. Paul’s Letter to the Colossians provides us with a theological perspective that we reveal the Lord’s glory in a gradual way through our Baptism.  Paul writes that death and resurrection has already taken place for those baptized into Christ.  Salvation is to be lived out every day.

St. John’s Gospel verifies the prophecy of Hosea 6:2 has been fulfilled: “On the third day He will raise us up to live in His presence.”

For the true Christian, every day is an Easter Day.  God appointed Jesus to judge everyone, alive or dead.  On this Easter Sunday Jesus calls us to be His messengers of peace.  We pray that this peace will remain in our hearts always.  The celebration of Easter is a call for us to change – radically – as Jesus’ own disciples changed.

In other words, the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus has given us a second chance like St. Peter who denied Jesus, repented and was forgiven.  This can lead into a great victory over death which Jesus afforded for us through His resurrection.  Death entered into the world through sin and everlasting life now destroys the sting of death.  Humanity is given a second chance on this glorious day of victory.

Below is a list of what Fr. Jim Mazzone, from the Diocese of Worcester, MA who has a blog entitled: Catholic Lectionary Homilies, references as the Church of the Second Chance sayings and responses from scripture.  In essence, they answer how through the love of God and the sacrifice of Jesus we become members.  Scripture responses are from The New American Bible.

  • It is impossible. Who can be saved? – God’s reply: “Things that are impossible for men are possible for God.” (Lk 18:27)
 
  • I am too tired. – God’s reply: “Come to Me, all you who are weary and find life burdensome, and I will refresh you.  Take My yoke upon your shoulders and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble of heart.  Your souls will find rest, for My yoke is easy and my burden light.”  (Mt. 11:28-30)
 
  • Nobody really loves me. – God’s reply: “Yes, God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him may not die but may have eternal life.” (Jn. 3:16) and “I give you a new commandment: Love one another.  Such as My love has been for you, so must your love be for each other.” (Jn. 14:34)

  • I cannot go on. – God’s reply: “My grace is enough for you, for in weakness power reaches perfection.” (2 Corinthians 12:9) and “He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in distress; I will deliver him and glorify him.” (Ps. 91:15)
 
  • I cannot figure things out. – God’s reply: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, on your own intelligence rely not; In all your ways be mindful of Him and He will make straight your paths.” (Prov. 3:5-6)
 
  • I cannot do it. – God’s reply: “In Him who is the source of my strength I have strength for everything.” (Ph. 4:13)

  • I am not able. – God’s reply: “God can multiply His favors among you so that you may always have enough of everything and even a surplus for good works.” (2 Cor. 9:8)
 
  • It is not worth it. – God’s reply: “We know that God makes all things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His desire.” (Rom. 8:28)
 
  • I cannot forgive myself. – God’s reply: “But if we acknowledge our sins, He who is just can be trusted to forgive our sins and cleanse us from every wrong.” (1 Jn. 1:9) and “There is no condemnation now for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Rom. 8:1)
 
  • I cannot manage. – God’s reply: “My God in turn will supply your needs fully, in a way fully, in a way worthy of His magnificent riches in Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 4:19)
 
  • I am afraid. – God’s reply: “The Spirit God has given us is no cowardly spirit, but rather one that makes us strong, loving and wise.” (2 Tim. 1:7)
 
  • I am always worried and frustrated. – God’s reply: “Cast all your cares on Him because He cares for you.” (1 Pt. 5:7)
 
  • I do not have enough faith. – God’s reply: “Thus, in virtue of the favor given to me (St. Paul), I warn each of you not to think more highly of himself than he ought.  Let him estimate himself soberly, in keeping with the measure of faith that God has apportioned.” (Rom. 12:3)
 
  • I am not smart enough. – God’s reply: “God it is who has given you life in Christ Jesus.  He has made Him our wisdom and also our justice, our sanctification and our redemption.” (1 Cor. 1:30)
 
  • I feel all alone. – God’s reply: “Do not love money but be content with what you have, for God has said, ‘I will never desert you, nor will I forsake you.” (Heb. 13:5)

    

Reading 1: Acts 10: 34a, 37-43
Reading 2: Colossians 3: 1-4
Gospel: John 20: 1-9

No comments:

Post a Comment